Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Mystical Leader

Yesterday I listened to a sermon by Bill Hybels on "Leadership Fundamentals". It was a good talk, especially since it began with a really cool story. As he came to his final point, he mentioned that much of his leadership was mystical, a word he acknowledged is not commonly associated with him. Yet he regularly, over the years, has referred to the role of Spirit-promptings in his ministry. And his example has been an encouragement and model for me. Hybels made a point to not downplay the role of leadership skills, but he wanted to make clear that those skills are worthless to God apart from His promptings. Following those promptings for me that last two days has been rewarding...it's lead to very good contacts and conversations. It usually does. So why do I not lean harder on those promptings?

When I think about the ministry year ahead of me, it's like a fog. I'm nervous as I step into it, I don't think I have all the leadership skills necessary to succeed like I want. But then I remember how much good has come from following the Spirit's promptings. So I'll take what I know and follow faithfully Who I Know. I don't usually think of myself as a mystical leader, even if that is really what I am. I suppose another way to refer to it is the Faithful and Fruitful Leader. Either way, I'm sure the fog will be fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think our first step is to recognize God's promptings for what they are. Our next step in our growth, is to step out of our comfort zone and follow the promptings. Not an easy thing to do.