Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sustain Me According to Your Promise

Samek

Fifteenth letter of the Hebrew Alephbeth

The poet introduces two interesting, intertwining themes: God "rejects all who stray from [his] decrees", yet God is the one who "sustain[s] me" and "uphold[s] me". Of course keeping the commands of God is vital to going His Way, of experiencing the blessings of His Covenant, but the only way to not stray from the decrees is to rely on the LORD's help to stay obedient. This pious poet pleas with the LORD: "do not let my hopes be dashed; uphold me and I will be delivered."

There is something to be said for wanting to go God's Way in everyday life, there is also something to be said for the man or woman who actually does it through ongoing and expectant reliance on Him. It strikes me - both in myself and most of the Christians I know - that there is a disconnect between doing their life and doing their life God's Way. There is the Christian stuff they do, and then there is everything else. But it would seem that God's Way ought to permeate every relationship, every schedule, every task, every concern, every burden.

This songwriter shouts: "Away from me, you evildoers, that I may keep the commands of my God!" Have you ever read through the commands of the LORD? They are very much concerned with the everyday stuff of life: how to purchase stuff in the marketplace, how to treat your animals, how to relate to your family and friends, how to pray and worship, how to treat your neighbor, how to work, etc. The evildoer is the one who goes about their week driven by their own whims and worries, with no actual reliance on the LORD for help to keep his commands in everyday life.

This psalmist ends his song with: "My flesh trembles in fear of you; I stand in awe of your laws." I just don't know many Christians who fear/revere God in Christ; and that nonfear/respect of God is evident in how they spend their week/energies - disconnected from God. There is no or little input from God on how to spend the day, who to contact, what to say in a conversation, how to respond to someone in need. It seems that people just respond to their gut - which is another way of saying that their belly is their god?

My hope is that I and so many other of the Christians I know would take up this psalm: You are my refuge and shield; I have put my hope in your word."

No comments: