Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Emma the Evangelist

Tonight on our way to Emmanuel Community Church for their Christmas Edition of Catalyst, we were listening to Trans-Siberian Orchestra (pretty much the only thing we listen to in the van). There is a song - #10 I believe - which starts off with the word "carolize." Earlier in the season the kids wanted to know what "carolize" meant. I explained that it means to make up a song about the Christmas story.

While traveling, listening to the melodic guitars of TSO, Emma declared, "Nicholas in my class thinks that Jingle Bell Rock is a Christmas Carol, but I told him that it's not."

"Oh really," I replied. "Did you explain to him what a Christmas carol is?"

"I told him that a Christmas carol is a song about the Christmas story."

"Good for you, Emma!"

"I had to tell the whole class the Christmas story."

"You did?" I exclaimed? "Why?"

"They didn't know what it was," Emma responded.

"Which class was this that you shared the Christmas story?" I wanted to know.

"Music class," Emma answered.

I was curious. "What did you tell them?"

"That Christmas is about Jesus being born," Emma declared.

"Well said, Emma. I'm proud of you. I'm glad you shared the Christmas story with your music class! And you taught them what a carol is. Good job!"

No comments: