Thursday, May 21, 2009

About Being the Anchor

I received this note on Sunday following our morning worship+service.  

********
It is written, "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."  
But I look inward and outward.
This is what I see.
That there are spirits three.
I see within me and my brethren a spirit 
weighed down with turmoil of this world.
Worned down by TV, work, violent times, the kids, the grocery list.
With us the spirit it is willing, but is weak.

I see within me and my brethren a spirit
warped by fanaticism, self-righteousness, hypocrisy, and hate.
We spout out condemnation and brimstone
to the young woman who made a mistake
to the young man who loves another.
"There is no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus."

I see not within me but in my brethren a spirit
strong, righteous, and loving.
I see them welcome the whore, the drug addict, the queer
into the House of the Lord. 
They do not condemn but give love.
Tell them not their sin, but of God's love.

To myself and my to my brethren my message is this...
Those of us with a weak spirit,
pray, immerse yourself in the Bible
run to the Lord, put your burdens on Him.
He is our rock, our refuge.

Those of us with a warped spirit, Be silent! Say nothing!
Immerse yourself in Christ's teachings and that of the Apostles.
Submit yourself, humble yourself.

Those of my brethren with a strong spirit
continue to cling to God and immerse yourself in Him.
Cloak yourself in his love.
Continue to help and minister to ALL of God's children.

- The Reluctant Profit

No comments: