Sunday, March 23, 2008

What a Great Easter Sunday!

As a pastor, I put alot of pressure on myself at Eastertime. I want it to be a great Sunday, and I built high expectations for myself. It's the holiest of Sundays, the first Sunday of the Christian year, the day which celebrates the one act of Jesus that changed everything! As a pastor I want people to "get it" more than ever. I had high expectations for our Easter service, and I had a great time.

What made it great was not just the powerful singing (the team picked out some great songs), or the response to the sermon (most everybody made some kind of commitment to trust God to bring good out of something bad in their life), but who showed up for the worship service. There were a lot of different people I was hoping would come to the service, people I thought that really needed the powerful worship service and sermon. It was so good to see so many there who are dealing with bad things in their life, people who are willing to let God do his work in their hearts and homes.

Here's the thing though: God had better come through.

Anchor has drawn a line in the sand: we've told people that they can trust God, and now people are giving him a chance...again.

We're doing a great thing at Anchor: helping men and women turn to God and trust him with their lives, their problems, their strengths, their families, their vocations. And we're expecting God to do some great things in their lives.

This quote below came to mean alot to me in college. I've not read it much lately, but today it took on a new meaning for me. It's a great time to be a pastor!

Expect great things from God. Attempt great things for God.
-William Carey, 18th century British missionary to India

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Easter Sunday was a fantastic service. Great music, great interaction and a great sermon.
Thanks for being there for us.

Pat