Monday, May 19, 2008

Waiting for my Huckleberries

Saturday afternoon I planted my huckleberry seeds!

This is my third season in four years for planting delicious huckleberries. Last year was a bumper crop...I think my Mum was able to make two whole pies - one for me and one for Dad. This year I'm expanding my crop.

I ordered two packets of seeds from Direct Gardening. I filled two 18 piece egg cartons with about 100 seeds apiece. Once they sprouted, Dad took one of the cartons home. If even half of my seeds survive my amateurish attempt to farm these berries, I'll be swimming in them! Well not quite, but maybe I can have enough berries so that I can freeze some for a pie at Christmas as well as Thanksgiving and at harvest time!

If you've never had huckleberry pie, let me know. I'll be sure to invite you over at harvest-time and I will share a slice of pie with you. Along with some home-brewed Starbucks coffee, of course!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never had a huckleberry!

Tim Hallman said...

Never?

Well, I'll be sure to have you over for then in the Fall!

They look like a blueberry, but when made into a pie, have a distinctive flavor. A bit tart, not quite sour, with a mild aftertaste. Whether that sounds tasty or not, I don't know. You'll have to try it and decide for yourself. I think you'll like it!

Kratz said...

I've never had huckleberry. I would like to try it someday! Maybe you could bring some out here?

Tim Hallman said...

It's a good thing I planted extra this year!

Hmmm...this means I'll have to plan a trip to Arizona this fall in order to properly spread the joy of huckleberries!