Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Go Tara Go!

I'm so proud of Tara!

She ran - ran, mind you - the four mile in Saturday's Fort-4-Fitness Event.

This is pretty amazing considering when we first got married I did all the running for soccer or for exercise. As she says it, she couldn't run around the cul-de-sac without getting winded. Now she brags about running for 50+ minutes! I've never been able to run for that long without stopping. She is the woman. Of course now the dare is on - if she can run a four mile event, so can I. And now she has her sights set on a mini-marathon in the Fort-4-Fitness next year. I CANNOT let my wife be the one to run something like that before me. Now we're both going to train for it. I have a hunch, though, that she'll be better prepared for the event than I.

Nonetheless, Tara got a cool medal for finishing the race, and according to her statistics, she did pretty good: out of 972 participants in the 4-mile run/walk, she finished 285! Out of the 102 runners in her division, she placed 32, and out of 742 women she was number 176. For her very first four mile race, she did very good, very good indeed. The official time for Tara: 43:45 (which is a 10:57 pace/per mile)!

Now she's hooked! And now she's inspiring a bunch of other people to join her next year to either walk or run. This fall in Huntington is a Turkey Run that we're thinking of doing together. That should be fun!

Here's Tara showing off her runner's number! I'm just so impressed she is doing this race!


Tara's friend Jen picked her up in the wee hours of the morning to get downtown for the 7:30am start time.


They ran the race together too! They also have kids playing on the same soccer team, who also had a tourney that morning.


Tara and Emma with their respective medals! Emma had a soccer tourney that I took her and Levi/Isaac to - so when Tara showed up after the race for the second game, they had fun comparing their awards!

1 comment:

sdennie said...

Wow, I'm impressed. Didn't know Tara was running.

The YMCA did a 5K run a couple weeks ago. I thought about it, but knew I wasn't ready. But I'd like to work myself up to that.