Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Goal-making

Seth Godin writes good stuff. Check it out.

What he wrote about goals/goal-making is convicting. Very descriptive...of me. I want to make a difference for good in the world, which would require me to make some goals. But I want to enjoy life and live in the "now"...while I'm making a difference.... But now I'm rethinking that strategy.

Here's Godin's take on goals:
The thing about goals

Having goals is a pain in the neck.

If you don't have a goal (a corporate goal, a market share goal, a personal career goal, an athletic goal...) then you can just do your best. You can take what comes. You can reprioritize on a regular basis. If you don't have a goal, you never have to worry about missing it. If you don't have a goal you don't need nearly as many excuses, either.

Not having a goal lets you make a ruckus, or have more fun, or spend time doing what matters right now, which is, after all, the moment in which you are living.

The thing about goals is that living without them is a lot more fun, in the short run.

It seems to me, though, that the people who get things done, who lead, who grow and who make an impact... those people have goals.

No comments: