Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Conspiracy, Half-Truths, or Reality?

I'd like to think that I am interested in reality. I'd like to think that when presented with things as they really are, I will seek to accept it, though I may not fully understand it. I also know myself well enough - I'm easily intrigued by contrarian ideas and "conspiracy" theories. I have learned what you have learned - there are always two sides to a story. So when Glenn Beck comes off as very believable in his expose of Van Jones, I find myself getting sucked in to his side of the story. But, is there another way to "spin" the story? Did Beck present half-truths? Did Beck take a morsel of truth and twist it?

I did some simple research via Google on Van Jones after watching the YouTube clip from August 24th in order to get another side of the story.

Below is the YouTube expose, and below that are some links to similar information about Jones.



Google search for Van Jones

Google search for Van Jones revolutionary

Huffington Post link to a column by David Roberts who reviews Beck's bashing of Jones

A lengthy, informative New Yorker article on Van Jones

The Wikipedia site for Van Jones

An interview with Van Jones by the Collage Foundation

And here is the link to the document that Glenn Beck pulled quotes from... Van Jones and “Reclaiming Revolution: History, Summation, and Lessons from the Work of Standing Together to Organize a Revolutionary Movement (STORM)

Here's a simple observation on Jones' interest in Marxist/Communist theory: what should oppressed people do when they have insufficient power to escape their oppression? How do the poor working class resist oppression - how do they foment a non-violent revolution that brings about liberation from harsh rulers? Maybe Beck should focus on the passion Jones had for seeking to bring life, liberty and pursuit of happiness to oppressed people. Maybe there should be respect for Jones for his radicalism - he really cared about freedom. And maybe we should respect Jones for renouncing Marxist/Communist ideals as the way to bring good change to America.

And God forbid somebody take what I just wrote out of context...

No comments: