Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Do More Great Work

In seeking greater clarity about myself and how to produce better results in life, I came across this helpful little book. Doing more great work isn't just about a job or career, although that's the book's starting point. Doing more great work, in my mind, starts with home, since that is where the heart is. I want my wife and children to benefit most from my work in the world. Some of my work is for them, it is with them, it is because of them. I want to make the most out of this brief life, and that means I want to do more great work as a gift for my family and friends.

Anyway, here were some great insights into doing more great work that came from the little red book:

Six Great Work Paradoxes
1. You don't need to save the world. You do need to make a difference. 
What can you do more of that makes a difference, shifts the balance, has an impact, adds beauty, changes the status quo, creates something worth being created, improves life, moves things forward, reduces waste, engages people, or allows love? (You don't have to do all of those. Just one will be fine.) There are opportunities to do any of these things all around you right now.

2. Great work is private. Great work can be public.
Great work is meaningful for you - often its reward is a moment of private triumph. ...if you're just after public acclaim, then doing great work might not even be the best route.

3. Great work is needed. Great work isn't wanted.
Great work shows up at the intersection where what needs to change in your world meets what's important to you. Taking a stand for great work means in some small (or significant) way swimming against the tide. 

4. Great work is easy. Great work is difficult.
It can be a time of uncertainty, groping forward when you're not sure of where you're heading.

5. Great work is about doing what's meaningful. Great work isn't about doing it well. 
You're unlikely to be able to do it perfectly. I'm not talking about a standard of delivery. I'm talking about a standard of impact and meaning. 

6. Great work can take a moment. Great work can take a lifetime.
Not every minute of the journey is great work, but what it adds up to is. Somehow, time can both shrink and stretch to accommodate a great work moment.


What do you think of these paradoxes?

1 comment:

michael said...

Tim - thanks for the kind words!