Friday, November 03, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me!


Yesterday was birthday number thirty-two! It was an all-around great day. It started off with Emma, Levi and Isaac helping me make waffles for my breakfast party. My mom and Emma baked a cake the day prior, so we ate it after the waffles! I've never had to blow out candles that early in the day before, it was fun - cause then we had cake for lunch also!

After our waffle/cake breakfast we danced to U2 songs - the perfect way to celebrate! I have a concert video of their Elevation tour, and I was previewing one of the songs for my sermon on Sunday. The song "Beautiful Day" is special for Emma and I, it's our song! There is a phrase that we always sing, I sing: "It's a beautiful day", and then we sing together, "Don't let it get away". What is especially darling is when she walks outside with me and sings it on her own! So my daughter and two sons danced with me to the video of "Beautiful Day", as well as "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" and "Elevation".

After the dancing was the gift opening ceremony. I sit on the couch and the kids open my present for me! Tara's gift to me was a total surprise: a picture of the kids each holding a sign that together read "We Love Daddy". It was a framed picture, accompanied by three more framed pictures of a rainbow that each of the kids had made. Very cool. You can see it hanging in my office, it is funny and cute and beautiful.

Good times, good times...

Tara and I went out on a date later that afteroon - my Mummy was gracious enough to come and spend the night at our house with the kids - and my niece Eva. For our date we went to the Carmike Theatre (very impressive!) and enjoyed "Flyboys", a thrilling story of WW1 American pilots flying with the French. We then went to Chappelles for a fine dining experience: I sumpted on Orange Roughy with Mediterranean style veggies - very tasty; Tara enjoyed her Filet Mignon and pasta (we ventured out and tried an appetizer of Goat Cheese Bread - very good with fresh lemon squeezed on it). We then headed for Borders (I bought for myself with gift certificates from last Christmas: a book of speeches that "chaged the world"; U2's "Rattle and Hum", Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits) and then Starbucks (Cafe Mocha) and then Barnes and Noble (looked at baby names: I always suggest Gunther for a boy's name - it is so cool!; wouldn't Arwen be a beautiful girl's name?), and then home late.

It was a great date and birthday. It's weird to think that my life is a third over...it's cool to think that I have two-thirds of my life left: what a wonderful, wonderful world...

1 comment:

sdennie said...

Wow, that was quite a birthday! Some of everything! Sounds very very fun.