Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Soul Care

Today a friend asked me about the condition of my soul. We hadn't met for several years, and he noted in me note of hurriedness that is uncharacteristic of maturing Christians. I'm glad he called me on it. He commented that becoming more like Christ translates into a less frenetic pace of life. Steps are slower, thoughts are slower, actions are more measured. Not out of doubt, uncertainty, indecisiveness; but out of wise contemplation. I feel busy and at times frenzied, and I also concurrently feel unsuccessful. I'm going to fast to really help anybody who is standing alongside the road needing help. And in passing by the opportunity to be like Christ, I pass into a darkness of soul. But to walk in the light is to walk in the way of Jesus. And that has to do more with how I use my time, and who I spend it with. If I want my soul to grow wise in Christ, I need to unclutter my heart with the fear and anxiety that fills the space. If I want to care for the souls of others, I need to have Christ working through my soul, working in my soul. Marana tha - Come Lord Jesus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"If I want my soul to grow wise in Christ, I need to unclutter my heart with the fear and anxiety that fills the space." Wow! I never thought of it like that. I knew my worrying and anxiety took energy away from positive things I could be doing, but I never thought about it cluttering up my heart. In doing so, I leave less room for God to work his magic. What an interesting thought!

Anonymous said...

"pass into a darkness of soul". That term hit me hard. I've never thought of my busyness in that sense before. Hmmm. Something to think on.