Sunday, February 25, 2007

Open My Eyes That I May See

Gimel

This is the third letter of the Hebrew alphabet, the third stanza of Psalm 119 - eight verses that all begin with the letter Gimel.

The author makes two requests that reveal our dependence upon God's initiative in our life, he writes:

"Do good to your servant, and I will live; I will obey your word...

"Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.

He is making a request that God is already at work doing...he is invoking the Genesis Story, and in one sense prophetically the Jesus Stories.

All that God has ever made is Good. All that God has ever given is Good. But wouldn't you know it, we have a hard time seeing what is Good in this world, in the Creation, in the neighbor and annoying family member, even ourself.

So we have the next obvious, crucial declaration: open my eyes - even in my blindness, even in the darkness, even in my foggy yearnings I can sense a goodness not yet touched, feel a goodness which is just beyond my grasp. God - Open My Eyes!



I want to see what is good, beautiful, inspiring, deeply satisfying and delightful. God spoke the Creation into existence - all that God has ever said is Good, terrible at times - and tragic, but Good. Thus if God speaks to us in the form of instruction, command, decree, law, etc, it is Good, and we need it to really live, and we need him to open up our eyes, our soul, our heart to his Word.

God Open My Eyes That I May See the beautiful truth of your good words which create a new beginning in the world of people around me.

No comments: