Saturday, February 17, 2007

Walk God's Way

Job 23 is his response to Eliphaz's charge against him of great guilt, wanton wickedness and abusive power. How else to explain Job's misfortune, surely it is God bringing justice: you reap what you sow, what goes around comes around.

But that is not the case, and Job knows better. Here is his description of himself
"But he knows the way that I take;
when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold.
My feet have closely followed his steps;
I have kept to his way without turning aside.
I have not departed from the commands of his lips;
I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread."

I wonder how much of Job's story Jesus reflected upon as he walked through tumultous Israel, avoiding plots to take his life, deflecting controversial questions to trip him up, dealing with friends who abandon him in times of great need?

Though we may not face trials like Job or Jesus, we are commanded to pick up our cross daily. If we are to walk under the burden of life without losing our heart and soul, if we are to follow Jesus wherever or to whomever he steps toward, what kind of character do we need to have nurtured?

Jesus has given us his Spirit to empower us to walk God's way, it's how we can have that kind of character cultivated. He sustains the desire in our heart, empowers our will, and guides our feet. We can't follow Jesus alone, we need his Spirit in us, and his People around us. I write this from experience.

Are you struggling or stumbling? Like Job or Jesus, shoot straight with God, honestly examine your life, eat the Scriptures, and lean hard on your friends...assuming you have better friends then Job and Jesus.

And if you are not struggling or stumbling, be that friend.

No comments: