Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Father to Daughter Quotes - 1

The title is from a little book Jan Clark gave me when Emma was born, the rest of the title: Life Lessons on Raising a Girl by Harry H. Harrison Jr.

Here are some of my favorites - they come out of my delightful experiences with Emma who will be four in the middle of March.


#8 Take part in her life now. Don't wait until she's 15 to try and develop a relationship.
I took this to heart - I've regularly changed diapers, fed in the middle of the night, done bathtime, done the bedtime routine, made meals, etc. We go for walks, we talk about the day, I answer every "Why" question as honestly and understandably as possible. It helps that Emma is a quick learner!

# 20 Give her baths. Do not leave this to Mom alone. It is pure magic.

#16 Make her part of your world - let her see you shave, work, read, and relax. She'll love spending time with you, no matter what you're doing. Enjoy it while it lasts.
All the kids love to watch me shave my face...I always tease them that I'll dab their cheeks with the shaving gel - which they squeal whenever I get it too close. What fun!

#23 When she babbles at you in baby talk, always respond with a positive: "Yes." "Of Course." "You're right." Soon enough you will be telling her "No" all the time.
This was really helpful...and very prophetic!

#28 Emotionally, phyically, and spiritually healthy girls are raised in a loving atmosphere. Do all you can to create a tranquil, harmonious home.
This was/is such good insight that should seem so obvious...

No comments: